I am blessed to find myself in a fortunate situation. I am gainfully employed by a large fortune 500 company, but have been approached by a small company in the private sector with a very compelling offer that I would like to accept.
I notified my employer of my intent to leave, and they asked me to wait a few days while they assemble a counter-offer.
The small company offered a package who's value is approximately 20% more valuable than my current wage. The large company is planning on countering with a package that is 30% greater than my current wage.
1) After I receive the counter offer, is it courteous/acceptable to approach the smaller company and ask them to match the larger offer? If so, is it unprofessional to ask both parties for a best-and-final offer?
2) In the event that I accept the smaller company's offer, the large company asked me if I would consider contracting my services to them for 6-12 months after my departure. (ex: new job during the day, doing contract work at night and on weekends). Is this common, or is this considered an unprofessional move that could burn bridges? (the companies are in different industries and are not competitors)
Thanks for taking the time -- I'll edit with more questions if I have any, or just ask in the comment space below your answers. Thank you!