I am really happy working on my current project, with my current team and manager. My manager told me I have been nominated for a promotion but there's some resistance from HR given some circumstances we can't control. So my promotion can happen any time now, or maybe next year, which is the time I actually expect it to happen.
A couple of days ago, I was approached by a recruiter about a position with another company. While I am not really looking for a job for the reasons I explained before, the company and the technology look very interesting and the company's culture is very attractive.
I decided to send my resume to the recruiter and I am about to begin the interview process, but I feel very guilty becasue:
a) I might be making the new company's recruiter and interviewers waste their time, or
b) If I eventually accept an offer with this company, I will have thrown away my manager's efforts to get me the promotion I will be wasting.
An additional concern is, if I end up receiving an offer, how much would I expect? I really don't know how much would be my salary increase with the promotion I am expecting, but I suppose I should ask for a better offer from the new company.
So, to sum up, my questions are:
- Is it ethical to leave when a promotion has been "promised"?
- How much should I expect or try to get in my offer from the new company? Is it wrong to ask for an increase based on a salary I don't have yet?