I am leaving my current job very soon and starting in a new role elsewhere which will be a small vertical move.
I gave a notice period at my current job. After this period has started, the team lead (who has managerial responsibilities) on the project has also announced he will be leaving.
Following his announcement I have been approached by management with an offer to take his place, something which would be a big vertical move.
The problem is :
- This offer will only take effect in about a month.
- I will be beginning my new job (contractual/consulting) work in the meantime.
- I am still undecided if I want to take the job of team lead.
The problem I face is how to professionally delay making a decision regarding a job offer while still behaving in an ethical and professional way? I'm worried about behaving unethically by not making a timely decision...
I feel that if I hide this fact to my new client I will be burning bridges when I use the contract exit clause after say 2 weeks of work and he learns I took the job knowing the chance of me leaving after 2 weeks was pretty high.
If I reveal this info to my new client he may decide not to hire me and I may be left out of work waiting for a formal offer for team lead that never comes, or I could decide I would rather not take the team lead offer and be left out out of work.