Take the 2-minute tour ×
The Workplace Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for members of the workforce navigating the professional setting. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have had a job for almost 1 year now.(job A) I'm an RN. I only work in this hospital once a week. I applied for several jobs to add hours, because I only work 12 hours per week.

First, I was offered and had a physical on Monday (job B)on one of the hospitals that I applied (part time also, once a week)The problem is one company that I had been applying for years suddenly called me to have an interview on a Wednesday of the same week.(Job C) Luckily, I got the job, and an offer pending physical and background check. (Job C)

The problem is that Job C, which is my dream job, wants a full-time commitment.(job C) The hospital orientation for my other new job will be this Friday. (Job B)

The question is this: Do I need to attend this hospital orientation (job B) knowing that in 2 weeks pending background check and physical, if everything goes fine, I will have to quit this new job because my 3rd (job C) wants my full-time commitment? They already gave me a starting date on the offer letter(job C).

If ever do I need to pass a resignation letter to this other new job,(B)if I quit before hospital orientation, or should I just talk to the HR, that I'll be quitting and will not pursue my orientation anymore since it haven't started yet, I just had only physical last Monday. I am thinking its more fair to the 2nd employer,(B) for me not to attend anymore the hospital orientation on Friday.(Job B)Tomorrow is Thursday already, I have to decide tonight.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Jim G., GuyM, ChrisF, jcmeloni Dec 20 '12 at 10:30

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2  
Hey Donald, welcome to the Workplace SE! I'm a little confused and not sure which job you're referring to in each case. (I think you have 3 jobs). Can you maybe edit you post and label them Job A, Job B, and Job C and make it clear which one you currently hold and which one you're applying for/receiving the offer? With that said, I'm not 100% sure you're question is a good fit for our format, but editing will definitely help us better determine that. Good luck, and welcome! :) –  jmort253 Dec 20 '12 at 7:46
    
@Donald - You shouldn't close any doors. The best solution is to request your orientation be delayed by 2 weeks. This will allow yourself a small window of time to get a response from Job C but not entirely close the doors on Job B since Job C is far from certain. –  Ramhound Dec 20 '12 at 12:40
    
This may be helpful as well: workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/111/… –  jmort253 Dec 21 '12 at 2:29

1 Answer 1

Do I need to attend this hospital orientation (job B) knowing that in 2 weeks pending background check and physical, if everything goes fine, I will have to quit this new job because my 3rd (job C) wants my full-time commitment?

A bird at hand and all that. Meaning - job C is pending and is not certain, while job B is certain. You don't want to compromise it in case job C falls through, in which case you will end up with no job B or job C.

I understand that this is a bit of a moral dilemma, in that you don't want to lead job B on and have them waste resources, but you do need to consider the worst case scenario with job C (for some reason something either goes wrong with the physical and background check or they get delayed).

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.