I know it sounds simple, but I'm finding it quite awkward to tell my boss I am leaving for another job. The main reasons for this are:
- My boss is currently looking for more developers due to heavy workload.
- He has took on a couple of "apprentices"in the past few days - and wants the business to grow with me helping it
- A lot of urgent and specific work relies on me - I am the only one with the knowledge of the frameworks, etc, which will leave the company in a tricky situation
- The company is literally next door. My boss has also approached the company asking if they have any spare developers - leading to more awkwardness.
- My company has been quite lenient and good to me, despite me having some bad times which under other circumstances would probably be sack-able.
- I have given no indication I want to leave / am unhappy
I'm not leaving even for a big increase. I just find my work stale, and the environment and jobs are uninspiring. There's no attempt to team build and even the simplest things like christmas parties don't exist. I could've asked for a change in this - but then I feel like it's only because I requested it, and this companies mentality and ways of working are incompatible with mine, which in turn is hindering my growth as a developer. The only problem now I see is it will be my 3rd job in 4 years - if it goes wrong at my new job, won't this cause a problem when looking for a new one.
I just really can't find an appropriate time to pull my boss aside and tell him I'm leaving, and why. I'm scared he will counteract and offer pay increases etc - any tips?