Some time ago, another company made me an excellent job offer. After some consideration, I asked the other employer to move out their offer's start date into the new year. My plan was to inform my current employer of my intent to resign shortly after the new year with about a month's notice to provide time to transition my work.
Now, however, my current employer's annual bonus is being paid later than expected. The start date of the offer is only two weeks after my bonus is expected to be paid. It seems to me that my current employer has little reason to give me a bonus if I have announced an imminent departure.
I expect the bonus to be about 10% of my annual pay (so it is rather significant). Since I have already negotiated an offer from my new employer, it does not feel acceptable to go to them and say "Oh, by the way, I'm also (maybe) giving up a bonus for you. Could you please throw that in as a signing bonus?"
I think that I have a few options:
Wait until the bonus is paid, then give notice that I will be leaving in 2 weeks. Try to help as much as possible to transition the work.
Inform the company now so that they have an extra week or two to transition work. Hope that they'll pay the bonus, but expect that they won't.
Ask my new employer to push out the start date a second time. Wait until the bonus is paid, then give notice that I will be leaving in a month. Hope that my new employer does not suspect some kind of delaying tactic. (Also, I must stay at my current job for another few weeks rather than starting the excellent new one.)
I'm inclined to choose option 1, but am feeling a bit guilty that I am "using" my current company for the bonus. What is the right choice?