So here's the deal and I 'm sure many can relate because I've had people say "yep, that's me too.". I will have a single meeting or string of meetings chained together that span say 2-3 hours with no break in between. Now I'm all about taking a bathroom break and getting a drink, but it seems like transitioning to 'heads-down' work after being actively involved in phone meetings for 2,3,4+ hours and I end up taking 30+ minutes often to 'get back in the mode'.
For example, I'll hang up then here is what I might end up doing:
- Go to the bathroom
- Clean my coffee cup and get a drink
- Stop by someones desk and say hello
- Check my personal email on my phone or news story (and related links) because I'm still burnt out from meetings
- Check StackOverflow...
- Take a quick walk around the building to stretch my legs because I was sitting too long
- Check my work email (ok this is not what I consider 'productive' work)
Guess what? 30 minutes gone!
It's like that feeling after running a race and needing a break so part of this is natural. However nowadays the multiple and long meetings are a part of my life and time is precious. It seems difficult for me to 'transition' back into heads down productive work after a string of long and actively involved meetings.
How do I break this cycle and reduce the time between concluding long meetings and reinstating heads-down productive work?