I am an undergrad computer science student working part time at a small company in the US.
I have worked there for 1.5 years now, and although it’s my first job as a developer, I feel like a lot of things aren’t right with this company.
Here are some things:
- There are no project leads nor clear duties and responsibilities, leading to a crisis when an employee quits.
- No rules or requirements for documents, no standards, no code reviews (never had anyone review my code).
- The CEO (who has no IT background) often bypasses the IT manager and gives tasks directly to the developers, supplied with ill-advised ideas of how to execute them. In one instance, the CEO instructed me to just release important application without testing.
- I have been given an inordinate amount of responsibility that I feel I haven’t actually earned.
- I was tasked with writing a very important application, but was given no technical specs, had to glean everything from an old undocumented application.
- Talks to CEO have yielded no results.
- No training, courses or conferences of any kind for anyone.
- A senior developer said he tried to change things but gave up.
Is this a terrible company and could I actually damage my career by working there?