I am a software engineer with 6.4 years of experience. I live in the Central Florida region and am trying to negotiate salary with a company in the area against my peers in my salary band of my type of experience.
The HR representative ASKED me to quote a 10K salary range. I gave 105K to 115K and after interview I've received an offer. They offered me 100K with 5K sign on bonus to leave my current job. After discussing over the phone my feelings toward the compensation, the HR rep asked I send an e-mail to help her make a case to increase my offer amount.
She also mentioned that she took into consideration people in my years of experience and salary range and doesn't feel that she can get me a whole lot more but is willing to do what she can with the hiring team. She and I understand the time to do any type of negotiation is now.
My reasoning is the following:
- I know that getting raises in the company is difficult so I am trying to perform negotiation up front prior to accepting the job opportunity
- I have a good job that I don't have to leave but I'm interested in seeing what is out there.
- As an engineer, I feel that my contributions and level can net me a salary around 108K (which is my goal).
- I am starting at a high number (~115K) and giving concessions (~112) as things go
- I can go overseas that will give me nearly $6000 extra a month untaxed. The signon bonus is taxed, has a 1 year stipulation, therefore I am using leverage to request a larger sign on bonus.
Are the above thoughts sound and reasonable and can be taken the same by the recruiter?
As supplemental data, here is my letter:
Hi HR Recruiter,
Once again, thank you for the offer that you and your team have extended towards me. As mentioned earlier, I feel that as a software engineer I am dedicated, resourceful, and have a proven ability to design, develop and implement code baselines from start to finish, and have strong communication skills.
I mentioned a range in our earlier e-mail correspondence and although I understand that salary ranges require to be in a certain band, I feel that my contribution to any team or program at Prospective Company outweighs the compensation that I would be getting. Of course, if I can't show why I'm worth more, perhaps I shouldn't be offered the job. Additionally, at Current Company, I have an opportunity to go overseas that is paying a per diem rate of 200/day un-taxed and I also have to take into consideration this when considering any new opportunities.
My upper end salary requirement was $115,000, I am willing to concede to $112,000. In addition to this, the overseas work will be for around 3 to 5 months. At 3 months, this is approximately $18000. The $5000 sign on bonus doesn't help cover the cost on losing this opportunity and I understand this doesn't always happen so in order to work at your company, I am flexible and would consider a sign on bonus of $15000.
Once again, I appreciate the time you have taken to hear out my concerns and going over the benefits package with me personally. I look forward to hearing from you and your hiring team on your decision. Have a wonderful weekend.