-2

I'm an engineering graduate looking for job opportunities while at the same time I'm on a internship in a big company. Recently, I received an offer of full-time job with higher pay than currently. Motivated by raise in salary, I accepted the offer and gave a notice to my employer. I did not receive any written offer: In country where I live, there is no possibility of signing a contract before giving a notice. There is something called "letter of intent" which can be used as legal just-in-case document but no employer bothers with it for entry-level jobs.

Fast forward to the last day of my job, I received a call from the recruiter that they need to change the offer to lower salary, which is well below what was proposed before and almost exactly how much I'm paid on my internship.

With this information, I'm really stuck on what to do. Firstly, this behaviour looks to me as a extremely bad sign on my soon-to-be employer. Secondly, if I knew about the final offer in advance, I probably would never have given a notice in my current job.

If I choose to keep the new job, how can I go about negotiating back toward the original offer? If I refuse the new job, what options should I be aware of?

closed as off-topic by Dukeling, DarkCygnus, Masked Man, gnat, IDrinkandIKnowThings Nov 24 '17 at 19:29

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions asking for advice on a specific choice, such as what job to take or what skills to learn, are difficult to answer objectively and are rarely useful for anyone else. Instead of asking which decision to make, try asking how to make the decision, or for more specific details about one element of the decision. (More information)" – Dukeling, DarkCygnus, Masked Man, gnat, IDrinkandIKnowThings
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    How can they change the salary? Did you signed some contract? Do you have something to claim that they agreed to pay you that? ... it is better to actually sign a contract or agreement before giving your notice, otherwise these things can happen. – DarkCygnus Nov 24 '17 at 16:59
  • @DarkCygnus It was just a verbal agreement on contract terms and I have no real (written) evidence of that. In my country of residence, there is no possibility of signing a contract before giving a notice. There is something called "letter of intent" which can prevent such situations but noone does has this on entry-level jobs. The question is more about if I should stay away from this employer instantly or maybe make deals with the devil. – QuicheLorraine Nov 24 '17 at 17:10
  • I see. If you should or not is ultimately your choice (and asking that is off topic here). Personally, this seems fishy to me; I would seriously reconsider working there, as they actually went back on their word here (too bad you don't have even an email with the initial offer). Good luck with that, you probably would be better looking for job elsewhere anyways. – DarkCygnus Nov 24 '17 at 17:13
  • 1
    @QuicheLorraine consider adding a country or location tag to your question, so it gives more context on the possible solutions here. – DarkCygnus Nov 24 '17 at 17:42
  • 1
    @psaxton Common or not, it is asking us to make the decision, which is not really something we can do. There may be an on topic question down there somewhere, but the question will need to be edited. – Dukeling Nov 24 '17 at 17:43
5

This is bad juju.

If you need the income try to get your current employer to keep you on.

If your culture allows incomplete employment history, start at the new job only long enough to find a different (even if not better) income source. Keep your time at the new job short enough you can leave it entirely out of your resume/cv as if you were unemployed for the duration. Remember you may give them the same courtesy they gave you in changing the offer in the eleventh hour. Don't feel bad about leaving with 0 day notice.

Immediately contact whatever government employment ministries are available to you and report the situation. Be sure to provide copies of any supporting documentation. You may have certain legal rights.

Avoid any further dealings with that company as well as the recruiters company like the plague. If you hear of anyone else entertaining either company be certain to relate your experiences to them.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.