To use the restroom we have to call someone in a building a quarter mile away so they can let us into that building (we don't have access normally).

What are my rights, options, if I have any?

closed as off-topic by Daniel, David K, gnat, IDrinkandIKnowThings, Mister Positive Nov 28 '17 at 14:53

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking advice on company-specific regulations, agreements, or policies should be directed to your manager or HR department. Questions that address only a specific company or position are of limited use to future visitors. Questions seeking legal advice should be directed to legal professionals. For more information, click here." – Daniel, David K, gnat, IDrinkandIKnowThings, Mister Positive
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Is management aware of the problem? Are they actively trying to fix it? How long will the fix take? Your question is lacking a lot of important information. Aside from that, legal questions ("What are my rights?") are generally off-topic here. – David K Nov 28 '17 at 14:51

The most important thing to do is to find out how long the water will be shut off. You or our manager should be able to find that out through your building services or the plumber.

Work off those timescales. Either wait for the supply to come back or work from home if possible, or temporarily obtain access to the other building without having to call someone.

Everything depends on how quickly this can be fixed.

  • @IDrinkandIKnowThings And how does the OP know that he has to call someone to get let into the other building? I assume he/she has been told of the alternative bathroom process by his/her manager, otherwise people would just go home. Either way, knowing how long the interruption will be is pretty key to how to move forwards. – Snow Nov 28 '17 at 14:56
  • 2
    OK I misunderstood what you were saying there. You seemed to be implying the OP should call in a plumber to fix the problem. I have edited to help clarify. – IDrinkandIKnowThings Nov 28 '17 at 15:00

What are my rights, options, if I have any?

First and foremost, you should report this to your manager straight away. They will (should) know the steps take to address the issue. Your manager should then communicate the plan to follow until the issue is resolved.

The other thing you should do is get a key or access card so that you can get in to the other building during the water outage without having to call someone for access.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.