I've received an offer from one of the Big4. The post is IT-related and managerial in nature.
There were some back-and-forth about the salary. The salary was far below my expectations and far below my stated expected range. I provided a thorough counter-offer of why I believe that the base salary should be bumped by X%. I received a counter-offer with no bump in base salary at all, instead increasing sign-in bonuses (which for me do not mean much as they're one-offs).
I thought about the offer, and 4 days later I responded via telephone that I would have to decline the offer as the base salary was well below my expectations and current earnings, and I would feel financially uneasy to sign such an offer (mind you that in all communication I was very polite and respectful). The partner who I was being interviewed by (throughout the whole process), said that he did not accept my rejection of the offer and would like to chat via telephone after the weekend so I could rationalize my thought process to him and see what we can do about it.
It has been close to 4 weeks since the time we last spoke. I initially assumed that this could just be bureaucracy and politics (it took them 2 weeks to come back with their counter-offer) and I'm looking for closure; I don't mind if they moved forward with another candidate (I would expect that I would have been informed of this decision) or whether they are still considering how to approach my concerns, but I would like to know what the status of the situation is. Should I contact or stay silent and see how this pans out?