I'm an undergraduate student who has a permanent job. As I have more academic work in my final year, I believe it would be better to take time off from my 40 hours per week job at least for one month. I'm not exactly sure how these sorts of things should take place within a workplace. I would like to get back to my job after my stressful time is over in college.

Does my request seem reasonable enough? What are the usual actions that are possible for me to take in my situation?

  • In my country, you wont start before completing your final year( though you would have a job offer). Could you explain your situation?
    – Rishi Goel
    Dec 29, 2017 at 5:40
  • I'm not sure, whether this sort of requests are too odd. I don't want to terminate my employment. Dec 29, 2017 at 5:47
  • This depends on way too many factors to give you an answer. Just ask your manager. Dec 29, 2017 at 5:53
  • You can certainly enquire about taking extended leave, but that request may be declined (which is increasingly likely for longer periods of leave), and it would probably be unpaid if it goes beyond how much leave you have. The way that these things should take place in the workplace is that you just speak to your manager about it and take it from there. Dec 29, 2017 at 10:46
  • 1
    @Neuromancer I should mention that to my friend who's also doing that that it's not possible. It is possible, you just have to have a very flexible schedule for your job. That friend has already passed his undergraduate and is currently doing the same for his masters. He holds a full time job and is also studying for his masters
    – Draken
    Dec 29, 2017 at 12:10

1 Answer 1


Yes, the request is reasonable. However, the reaction always depends on the workplace.

Any corporation (big or small) has policies on how to deal with these issues. IMHO, what you looking for is an unpaid leave of absence for personal reasons or professional development, depending on if you work in the field of your study.

First step is to go through the company policies to find a suitable one, if none are found, you can check with HR regarding this.

If there is no such policy in the company you work , you would have to talk to your supervisor and come up with some sort of solution to the issue.

  • +1 - it will widely vary by company. If the current one is helpful in this regard, policies may allow for a sabbatical or a reduction from full-time. If it's relevant to the job, there might be some reimbursement, though usually to qualify for that you need approval before taking the classes or getting the degree to be reimbursed. Dec 29, 2017 at 19:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .