-4

Recently, I interviewed two companies, say Company A and Company B. Company B offered me a good position/package which I accepted right away. I didn't bother to reach out to Company A because the interview hadn't gone so well and I wasn't expecting any offer.

Just last week, the Company A unexpectedly extended me a verbal offer, which I'd like to accept because:

  1. Company A is my dream company
  2. Package is very attractive.

Here are my options at this time:

Option 1
My starting date at Company B is Jan 2, 2018. I could just tell them that I got a dream job and I can't join. But then I'd be sitting job-less for another 3 to 4 weeks, until the other offer is materialized. Worst case scenario: what if Company A rescinds the offer for any reason?

Option 2
Join Company B and resign once the other offer (from Company A) is finalized. This sounds morally wrong to me, because I'd be just settling down during that time.

Option 3
My kids suggested me to extend the start date at Company B, and drive Uber meanwhile. The problems with this option are:

  1. I never experienced Uber driving and I am not very excited
  2. Company B would definitely say f**k off if I tried to extend my start date now

Please advise!

marked as duplicate by gnat, Jenny D, Dukeling, Mister Positive, mhoran_psprep Dec 29 '17 at 12:38

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • @gnat it's probably not exactly duplicate because I have accepted the offer. My dilemma is that whether I should start my new job or renege the commitment, which could potentially be a huge problem if other offer didn't materialize. – Programmer Dec 29 '17 at 9:47
  • 1
    We can't really make this decision for you - you'll need to weigh up how important your morality, not burning bridges and not risking being left without either job is to you. – Dukeling Dec 29 '17 at 11:04
  • 1
    Related: How can one resign from a new job gracefully? – Dukeling Dec 29 '17 at 11:06
  • I worked very hard to get a job at Company A. I can’t let go A – Programmer Dec 29 '17 at 21:24
2

Company A:

  • You don't have a written offer from company A. Say to them you are interested in the offer, and would like a written one.
  • Act like you don't have any offer at all (regarding Company B) before receiving the written version.

Company B:

  • As soon as you receive a written offer from Company A, and supposing there are no conditions to it, such as a background check, tell Company B about it.
  • There are two options: they will let you go or they will counter-offer. Be prepared for a counter-offer.
  • Do not regret leaving Company B. They would do the same thing to you if you became less interesting to them during your work there.
  • Thanks Adam for your sincere suggestion. I will start at B and will try my best to be useful in this short period of time. – Programmer Dec 29 '17 at 21:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.