Note: I’m from India and I did mention in my job application MSc (IT) and BSc
I had cleared an interview sometime in June 2017 and after waiting 4-5 months I was released an offer on 15 November 2017 which required negotiations and eventually was approved by my new employer
I got my revised offer letter on December 19, 2017 with joining date February 19, 2018. On that letter it is stated “as confirmation of your acceptance, you are requested to sign the duplicate copy of the offer cum appointment letter and annexures and submit within 7 days” I had signed this offer letter and the authorisation letter for background verification.
In the last week of November, I had a call from HR asking for MSC IT certificate. I told them I had impending projects, so my highest qualification would be BSC and provided all documents needed including 10th 12th and degree marksheets along with certificates. Again, in the last week of December I was asked same question and my reply was no different.
A week before joining the new workplace i.e. 12th February 2018, their HR called me asking for MSc certificate, I was stumped, after the same conversation they asked me to re-initiate background verification process adding all details including old job details. This time I was told to remove the MSc from my application and submit again. For the past one week I have been submitting the same documents to different HR’s in the company. On 15th I received a letter from them sub: Extension for the date of joining, its been revised to March 1, 2018.
My hiring manager wanted an early start and was pushing me to join early February. I don’t know if my hiring manager know everything, HR might have blamed background verification
I strongly feel its HR negligence and in breach of contract as they had 2 months to do the background verification. once a candidate has accepted an unconditional offer of employment then a binding contract exists between employer and candidate, even if the candidate has not yet joined.
What should I do, Im stressed, anxious and not in a financial situation to cover up 2 weeks or how ever longer they would take. Should I email HR manager and my (future) line manager for the compensation?
More to add- The situation is even worse than before – I was given 5th March as joining date, since its different state I planned my travel on 4th to find out that hotel stay was only booked from 5th not 4th, on my own expense stayed in different hotel and completed induction on 5th but was advised not to join and stay in the company hotel until BGC is complete. 9th March I was told that the agency doing verification hasn’t heard back from 1 of my former employer, I spoke to the lead directly and requested for reference which was done same day. Today I became anxious and contacted service delivery manager who interviewed me and to be my surprise she wasn’t aware of any this.