I am in a difficult/weird situation that I need to handle very soon. I have moved in the Netherlands for a job position in September 2017, and I have been working there since now.
Approximately two months ago, beginning of January 2018. after coming back from the holidays, I have decided that Netherlands aren't really made for me to live in (too cold, cultural differences, etc).
Since I am a very honest and direct person, I talked to the CEO about this and told him that it was not in my interest continuing my presence in the Netherlands longer than September 2018.
It seemed like he took it pretty well, however days later he changed his mind, telling me that they are looking for longer term employees, and that they wanted to evaluate if it would make any sense renewing my contract in April 2018. They looked through the backlog, and decided not to.
Now, this is totally fine, since I wanted to leave the country and move to a warmer one, like Spain or even back to Italy, however as time went by, I think that my decision was too drastic and quick, and took without thinking enough of it, a week after I came back from the holidays.
Time is running short, and I have only a month and a half to find a new job and arrange relocation, or to find another job here and stay in the Netherlands for a bit more.
If I ever decided to remain here, I would feel guilty, especially because I'd need to tell my current employer that I changed my mind, and that I am looking for another company in the Netherlands. At the same time, I wouldn' want to remain in my current company (even after he'd maybe change his mind on renewing the contract) after this.
What's the best way to handle this?