I work as a software developer in the UK and recent had my salary review meeting with my team lead, during which I was also told about my bonus.
While I am happy to have received 100% of the bonus set out a year earlier, my salary increase was only 2%. This is below inflation, which currently sits at 2.7%. My potential maximum bonus for next year was also left unchanged.
I have told my team lead that I found this quite disappointing. They went to the development manager and came back to me saying that 2% was an across the board increase. All this was communicated verbally.
I have been working for the company for the past three years. In 2017, the IT department delivered a huge amount of work, hitting one particular deadline that looked almost impossible, and the company closed the year with record sales and profit figures. This wasn't without issues and we lost a few good permanent developers as a result. I was part of many key projects and teams I've been on always delivered on time. The amount and quality of my contributions, productivity, and value to the company is, I would think, steadily increasing, and while I'm not a star developer, I am respected among my colleagues with some seniors having been pushing me to go for a senior position for a while. I have been in talks with my team lead about this promotion. They want to make it happen, telling me that as far as they were concerned, I am at the senior level. This promotion is officially in the pipeline and is set to happen in the next few months, hopefully.
Given all this, the reasoning for the 2% increase that I had initially accepted now makes me feel undervalued. I want to bring this to the attention of an appropriate superior.
Would that be acceptable and more importantly, who do I address this to? Should I go one up and contact our IT manager, or should I contact my team lead and development manager because my previous correspondence with them wasn't "on paper"? Would it be seen as asking for something when they feel the matter is closed? Would I be risking the withdrawal or delay of the promotion? Is it possible they are thinking of delaying an increase until I am made senior, which is of course not guaranteed? Should I wait for the promotion and ask for a higher raise at that point?
The company has some very ambitious goals for the next three years, and I'd like to be a part of it as long as I feel I'm fairly compensated. In this case it would mean a higher than inflation rate increase.