I am applying with a company that specializes in streaming live events over the internet and digital video content. This is for an entry level position.
I'm growing a bit concerned by the amount of paper work they want me to fill out before even making me a job offer. I'm in Canada and the company is based in the US.
In addition to providing them with references I already filled out an application form that
- gives school and employment history
- expressly gives them right to contact school and past employer
- give contact information of manger of past jobs
- give reason for leaving previous jobs
- agree I will be fired if I lied or withhold information in hiring process
- acknowledge they have an equal opportunity hiring process
Now they want me to fill out more paperwork including
- authorizing them to conduct a consumer investigation report on me (I authorize [company] (or any third party vendor appointed by them) to procure a Consumer Report which includes information from multiple sources across the globe.)
- criminal record verification. This could be normal but the form seems non-standard (it's from a company called Mintz) and I'm not used to having to do it before a job offer is made
- 15 page PCI compliance document and agreeing to follow its rules and any changes made to it
- not to disclose confidential information (that I can understand).
Am I being paranoid? I never have seen before is what is a consumer report and how is it related to my employment? I can't put my finger on it but there seems to be something 'unprofessional' about the criminal background check document (for example the first page is missing a heading).
Realistically is there anything I can do if I feel something in the contract is unfair? They would probably not consider me for hiring if I don't agree to everything. Should I message HR and ask questions like why they need a consumer report on me?
I have nothing to hide but feel some of these questions are invasive.
UPDATE: I just red over one of the forms again and it requires a witness signature. This is a problem as the witness must not be related to me and have known me for 3 years (I recently moved and this may be hard). I also don't really want to show a witness private information like where I lived the past 5 years, any criminal offenses etc.