I love my job. I work with at risk youth during the school year; teaching soft skills and preparing students for their next steps in life
During the summer myself and my two colleagues facilitate an internship for the students.
One of my coworkers has been in her role for three years now and does a good job. My other coworker, we'll call her Rosie (not her real name) is the problem.
- Sucks on her teeth constantly
- Talks to herself constantly
- She sings to herself consistently
- Douses herself in heavily scented lotion often
- sits on her phone in front of the class or even doodle on her hand/arm.
- Is a terrible public speaker/ facilitator
- Will self deprecate when she gets off track (not good with at risk youth)
- Uses irrelevant references with students
This causes a lack of respect and disengagement from students
My manager is aware of what he considers "personality challenges.", but despite me bringing my concern to him that I believe that she poses a credibility threat to our program, he feels as if he does not have grounds / cause to take action.
Beyond that he has asked that I take a leadership / mentor type role with her. I cannot manage my responsibilities and her and my sanity. I do not feel that this is my responsibility to manage. My manager is somewhat absent from this.
I haven't confronted her with these issues because I do not have the confidence that she has the maturity to handle objective workplace criticism.
- To restore the credibility of our program that Rosie has damaged when I fell that she does not posses the ability to be a contributing member of this team and should be removed.
- To find a way to work with the challenges of her personality if she is not going to be removed
- How to engage my manager into dealing with the issues directly?
- If my manager continues to be "hands off" what should my next step be as far as recruiting help with this situation?
- How do I defend the childlike behavior to our partners/ teachers / students Rosie is exposed to?
- How do I make sure I preserve my professionalism throughout this experience?
- Are there any resources I can point Rosie or my manager towards to help with these issues?