I co-founded a company a couple years ago, and am in charge of the development aspects of the company. I am an executive (CTO) and am on the board of directors. I also own 20% of the company (the president owns the other 80%).
There are no full time employees who can develop, and we outsource work to a friend of mine in another country when things get busy. I am also the only one who can communicate with that friend due to a language barrier. So if I leave, the whole development side of things would stop.
The guy I cofounded the company with and I don't really see eye to eye on how a company should be run, and, seeing as he is the president of the company, he tends to get his way more often than not. I am often yelled at in front of everyone else, or in a public online channel that everyone in the company can see, for several hours at a time (almost at a weekly basis). I can't really see myself coming to like working at this company as a possibility anymore, so I would like to explore other options.
However, if I quit, the whole company would likely go under, and I don't really want to be the cause of that either. There may be a chance that we could sell off our development contracts to other companies, and then the company could turn exclusively into a design company (as that is what the other employees do), but the design contracts just started to enter a rough patch as of last month.
I've tried changing focus from client work to creating our own service, but my ideas were all shut down due to them being unsure with the domain, or saying that they don't have a very good image of what the project would be based on (at the time, cryptocurrency), so it didn't get anywhere. Since then, there has been a similar project released by another company.
How could I either make this company a place I actually enjoy belonging to, or move onto another place without essentially screwing over the members (including the president) who would remain behind?