I took up an offer recently for a job abroad which came with a great job description.
The description included what I had already been doing but covered a greater field of responsibilities and activities. I was promised everything would be sorted for me when I started; all the hardware, software, accounts etc. would be setup for me - I checked multiple times this would be the case and was ensured it would.
I accepted the job giving two months notice and on starting I had nothing; no hardware, software or accounts. It's been over a month since starting and I'm still missing access to multiple systems - I can't even access their time-sheet system to record my hours, though fortunately I'm still being paid. But once I have access to everything, the work I will be doing doesn't even begin to cover what I had been doing previously.
Normally I'd give a job six months, see how things were going and if I wasn't happy, start looking elsewhere. However this is abroad and I'm in the process of getting ready to move here permanently - buy or rent a place and either sell all my stuff and by new stuff, or get what I have shipped. It's a costly process and will tie me to the country for at least an extra six months to a year.
I've been told it's just teething problems; it's a newly created role and I'll soon start doing the extra work which was described. But colleagues have told me it's probably going to take a few years, they've been hearing the same for some time and the systems we would be working with still don't exist.
Now I'm unsure what to do; if I stay I will have to move in soon, the company is paying for my accommodation at the moment but have told me this will only be for a couple more months. If I decide to quit I'll have to find a new job pretty quick. There is also the possibility I could leave too soon and miss out on what (on paper) is a pretty good job.
I want to give the job a fair try, but I've not had chance to due to so many issues getting started, but I will have a one-on-one with the boss next week so I'm going to have to go through this with him. He really is trying his best, but so were his predecessors who eventually had enough of trying and gave up; it's a huge company and even the smallest change takes ages.
If you were in my situation what would you be doing; what would you say to my boss and how long would you be willing to stick the job out for before you made up your mind on whether to stay or leave? Do you think being under-stimulated is a good enough reason to leave? I've been searching for work back home, have contacted a few friends to ask about work and have a few house/flats listed here that I could rent or buy if I decide to stay but I have to make up my mind soon.