I was in Mexico working as a contract employee for a US tool company. I went to lunch with one of the workers at the plant I was contracted to work at. I locked up my back pack with my laptop phone and other items in his trunk. Thieves broke into his trunk and stole my stuff about $3,000. worth.

I realize I was on my personal time and personal stuff and off site at a restaurant.

I'd like to ask my employer to cover the costs. What is the best way to approach them about it?

  • 6
    This will probably come down to the insurance or discretion of your employer. – Dukeling Aug 13 '18 at 18:28
  • §3000 is a lot of money. COmpany stuff? Because otherwise as employer I would ask you why you walk around with pro camera equipment and no insurance or something like that. – TomTom Aug 13 '18 at 18:30
  • @TomTom macbook+iphone is already around 3000$, you don’t need special camera gear to reach that sum – eballes Aug 13 '18 at 18:36
  • Yeah, except if you travel for company I would assume the laptop is owned by the company. And eriously, 3000 is mor elow end cameras. But then, why the **** no proper insurance? – TomTom Aug 13 '18 at 18:39
  • 1
    Just to be clear, the OP is a contractor, not an employee of the company they are doing work for. – Mister Positive Aug 13 '18 at 18:40

You can ask. The worst thing that will happen is that they say no.

I once had an employer cover costs incurred from a lost passport when travelling for business. I figured it was a long shot but I pitched the idea as "If I weren't travelling for work this would have been safely locked up in my home" and they agreed.

As a non-Workplace SE point if they don't cover you it's worthwhile checking any insurance that you have to see if it may apply. My home insurance covers theft of my property even if it isn't stolen from my home.

  • Worth noting that even most basic renter insurance will cover theft of items left in car after paying the deductible.That's usually required by most rent controlled places. Be sure to get a police report as they'll want to see that. – Dan Aug 14 '18 at 14:52

You’ll need to check what your insurance covers you for whilst away.

I’m not sure whether locking them in the trunk would have been covered but it’s worth checking. No one will be able to advise until you've has the conversation with your employer about cover.


Question can I get my employer who sent me to Mexico to pay for these items?

Most likely, you are out of luck. It's worth a check to see if they have an insurance policy to cover that sort of thing, but as a contractor I bet it is up to you to have this type of insurance coverage for your equipment and not the company who contracted with you.

As an employee, you would need to be familiar with your companies policies and such, but most importantly you would be carrying around the companies equipment and not your own.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.