I started the interview process with two companies, Company A and Company B at approximately the same time, have been through 2 rounds of phone screenings with both companies and had a final interview for Company A today and a final interview with Company B tomorrow. Company A was very excited after the interview today and got me a job offer the same day. I am 99% sure that I want to accept job offer from Company A so I want to cancel my interview with Company B so that I am not wasting their (probably higher paid) time. I am now under 24 hours before the final interview at Company B.
What about that 1%, you ask? What if they come back with a better offer? While I will admit it is possible, I have already been asked about compensation by Company B and they have provided me with their pay scale. The culture, work and compensation all seem to be a better fit for me at Company A and I am willing to risk that 1% so I do not need to take additional time off at my current position, don't have to go through the stress of a multiple hour interview, etc...
Is under 24 hours too late to cancel an interview (they may have even left for the day and so will not receive my cancellation until tomorrow morning)? If that time frame is too short, how short is too short?
Update: At the urging of many user's here, I decided to go through with the interview even though it meant taking a little more time off from my current job. I liked the folks there but realized it wasn't a great fit for me, solidifying my choice for Company A (plus their offer was a bit lower) but I realized it would be an excellent fit for a coworker who is also looking for a new job so I sent him a link and told the hiring manager at Company B about him. They really appreciated it and now I have some brownie points with Company B for the future, a friend and coworker is closer to a potential job and Company B has a new, exciting candidate so it was a win-win-win.