Recently I was in negotiations with a company after getting an offer. During the initial call of this interview process I was given a number that I was quite happy with, so when offer time came around I assumed I'd get something close to this number, accept and be done with it. Turns out the actual offer was much lower than I expected and I was not prepared for this. The reason for the lower offer was the differential between the needs of the position and my current skill set. Nonetheless they said I showed potential.
Anyways, me and the recruiter go back and forth trying to figure something out. I was mainly trying to get back to the initial number I was teased with but no cigar. As a final resort I gave the min number it would take for me to move and they were unable to reach it. I had no leverage except for the fact that I currently have a job and salary is not that much different than whats being offered. The company would be an upgrade with respect to stature though.
After thinking over the decision I made. I regret taking an absolute, ultimatum approach during my effort to ask for more. At this point I wish I would of closed, so I have been considering emailing the recruiter and letting them know that I would be happy to take the offer if it was still open and they were still open to the idea. I understand that this is wishy washy, which is why I am here asking for advice. My basic question is: if for some reason they are okay with me going back after closing negotiations, how bad will this stain my character if I work there? Is this a terrible look? I don't really care how I'll look if they decline, but worried about the situation where they accept.