I got a diploma from University in UK over 25 years ago, background check called the university and the university has no record as it was paper back then. What can i do? My parents no-longer have my diploma certificate. Can i ever get a job without this now?

  • 13
    25 years ago was the mid-late 90's, not the stone age. Electronic records and tape backups were available. Call BS and tell them to get your records. Unless you went to a fake University that didn't issue you an actual diploma.
    – dfundako
    Oct 30 '18 at 20:05
  • 3
    @dfundako You'd be surprised at the systems some places are still using to this day. Oct 30 '18 at 20:07
  • 3
    Did the background agency contact the correct university? When I was consultant, one of the background agencies my client used tried to get my info from a university in India - despite the fact I obtained my degree in Scotland and have never set foot in India. Oct 30 '18 at 20:27
  • 3
    I graduated in 1985 and a phone call to my university (in the US) will claim the same. But using a written form to request proof will still work. Oct 30 '18 at 20:29
  • 2
    Does the University have no records at all of people who graduated 25 years ago (highly unlikely) or do they just have no record of you ?
    – Hilmar
    Oct 31 '18 at 0:32

Can I ever get a job without this now?

It depends on the type of job you are willing to apply to. You can work on software development without ever going to school. However, nobody will think of employing a doctor with no university degree.

Regarding the certificate, I am sure the university that issued you the certificate 25 years ago will be able to provide a copy or proof of that previous education. There is no doubt they are keeping records from 25 years ago. For a country like the UK, it is highly likely the university was using computerised record-keeping systems.

  • I bet a uk uni could provide records from the day it opened, if it could be arsed, that last phrase is the important one.
    – WendyG
    Oct 31 '18 at 15:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .