(NB: Although this question touches on issues of immigration and travel, its pith lies in understanding the way hiring managers and recruiters think, which is why I belive Workplace is the right place to ask it.)
I'm a Russian citizen who used to work in the US but quit his job and moved back to Russia due to urgent family issues I needed to resolve.
A few months back I was contacted by another US company that expressed strong interest in hiring me. All of my remote interviews went very well, and I was invited to make a paid trip to their US office for the final round. However, due to the current political situation I was unable to get a short-term travel visa in a reasonable time (currently it takes a whopping 200 days to get a short-term business/travel visa at the Moscow consulate). In other words, if I'm hired, I can get a work visa promptly since I already had it before, yet I can't get an ordinary short-time visa for the interview in a timely manner.
After some deliberation, I decided to carefully describe all the options I could think of, and sent a lengthy e-mail to the hiring manager. Two weeks of total silence ensued, followed by a canned response that the opening was no longer available.
Fast forward a few months, and yet another US company I'm interested in invites me to interview for them. Once again, I blaze through the phone interviews and get an invitation to visit their main office. Now I need to inform the hiring manager that I won't be able to show up in their office this or next month. I don't want to be discarded with no clear explanation again, hence my question how I should tackle this.
The following are the options I'm thinking of proposing:
- Conducting the final round remotely via video conferencing. (This seems like the most logical option to me, and I'm surprised it did not work the first time.)
- Me getting a visa in a neighbouring country (which is straining for me, but could significantly reduce the wait time until my visit).
- Offering to contribute to the open source part of the project for free until my visa is resolved. (This, at least in my mind, should help us establish how well we "click" together.)
My questions are:
- How exactly should I frame my response, and which of these options that I've listed seem most sound?
- Was there something I did wrong that I was rejected the first time?
- How likely is it that I was subjected to ethnic profiling and perceived as a sham? ("The guy is from Russia and can't show up in person on a specious sounding pretext, he must be up to no good.")