Got a problem : I will apply for the National Insurance Number in UK, I need to prove I live somewhere they ask me for an invoice with my name ... : / Yet I live at my friend's house ... How can I prove it then ? Should I sleep in an hostel for a day ?

Here is the official link about applying for a National Insurance Number :


  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is about providing evidence of residence and not about navigating the workplace. – HorusKol Nov 2 '18 at 5:39
  • 3
    As an expat who formerly lived in the UK, this can be a genuine challange @solarflare; it's a bit of a catch-22 since you need a "proof of address" for many services that many provide you with such proof. I had similar problems moving to New Zealand a few weeks ago (I am renting, and the contract was my "proof", but if I had been staying at my girlfriend's it would have been tricky). Also see: expatriates.stackexchange.com/q/85/7023 – Martin Tournoij Nov 2 '18 at 6:03
  • 2
    I also think this is on-topic, as it involved the National Insurance Number, which is required to work in the UK. There are many questions about it already: workplace.stackexchange.com/search?q=national+insurance – Martin Tournoij Nov 2 '18 at 6:07
  • 1
    If you live with a friend sign a lodger agreement with them or the landlord. Make sure your friend is authorized to take you in as a lodger. That should do it. – rath Nov 2 '18 at 13:15
  • 1
    @ThePassenger I think the right site to ask this question is at Expatriates, for people living abroad on a long-term basis. – David K Nov 2 '18 at 13:22

You are trying to get an NI number, and fortunately that's not handled by the Home Office.

Assuming that you are not living with your friend for free, ask your friend to give you an invoice for the rent you are paying him. With your name on it. Alternatively, you ask the people who told you to provide a bill with your name what they would want, since you are not getting bills for rent, electricity, water etc.

| improve this answer | |
  • Unfortunately I do live with them for free :) The people who asked me to provide the bill, the work and pension department of UK, would like any invoice with my name on it. – Revolucion for Monica Nov 2 '18 at 1:00
  • you could try getting a mobile phone contract with paper billing for that address – mgh42 Nov 2 '18 at 1:09
  • @mgh42 Thanks for your comment. Any address ? – Revolucion for Monica Nov 2 '18 at 1:16
  • 3
    @ThePassenger the address of your friends house where you are living – mgh42 Nov 2 '18 at 1:22
  • But to open a bank account you need a proof of address @HorusKol >_< – Martin Tournoij Nov 2 '18 at 6:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .