Our tech company would love to keep a corporate blog about all the interesting things we do. We think that, done right, it could help us reach and recruit valuable development talent; impress customers; that it could be a perk for employees who enjoy writing. The idea of a corporate blog has full buy in from the very top of the business. Our problem: no one is writing.
The key issues seem to be
- everyone is too busy!
- no-one is sure where to start
- individuals with ideas lack confidence to write
- writing a full blog post can be a large and daunting piece of work, even for those of us who write professionally
Also, we’re not sure what platform to use (Medium, self-hosting - etc)
What I'd like to know is, how do companies that blog habitually solve these problems?
It would be great to hear from people who have worked at companies where blogging hasn't worked, as well. What went wrong?
Edit: for context, we’re a tech company who would like to write about our software development practices and technologies. Example topics might be:
- how-tos in tuning a database
- a review of a new microservices monitoring tool
- a piece on how we achieve constant uptime.
They would probably be written by developers themselves.