I've received an offer for a job. The first two weeks are a "tryout", and if they like me (and, presumably, vice-versa) they'll keep me on for another six weeks. I still have a few days from now in which to take this offer.
Meanwhile, I've had surprising luck with other applications. This week I expect an offer from another job, and have two more interviews scheduled. I feel the need to keep my options open because some of these jobs are "permanent", or have other advantages over Job A.
If I decide to stay after the trial period, I'll stay. No more applying or interviewing. But until then, as a point of professionalism:
- Can I take this job, keep interviewing, and possibly accept a new job for when the trial is over?
- Should I tell Job A that I have other options? (And promise that I won't send out any new applications?)
- When would I tell them? The first day of work seems like a bad time to give two-week's notice.
As I already said: I don't think this is quite a duplicate of Should I let the company I "accepted" first know that I'm still interviewing with another company?, because Job A is temp-to-hire, and only two months long at most. Same for Should you tell a potential employer with an offer that you're interviewing with another company?.
I also don't think it's like Accepting job offer, and backing out? How unprofessional is this?. Because during the tryout period, can I really be said to have "accepted" the job?
Actually, I think this question may be the closest to a duplicate: Ethics of Accepting a Job Offer with the knowledge that I may soon leave
I'm in California, USA, where either party can terminate employment with or without cause.