My contract mentions that my employer will do their best to find a 'new employer' (in particular their partner companies) if I were to be made redundant.

I have found out today that I have been made redundant, and would love to remain within the current industry.

How can I approach my HR department, and mention that due to me being made redundant, I would appreciate if the company were to assist me in finding a new employer?

NB: Their partner companies are not owned by the same company, they just work together. One of the partners has a major operation where I am based.

  • 3
    Why not just ask as you have here? There is no conflict of interest and it is in your contract.
    – Kilisi
    Nov 6, 2018 at 7:18
  • Which country is this as laws on redundancy vary Nov 6, 2018 at 21:40

2 Answers 2


How can I approach my HR department

Ask them if you could get a referral or any other assistance with finding a position at their partner company. They may (probably do) have a direct contact they can give you to get the ball rolling.

  • 2
    It is a "feel good" perk, really it promises nothing, but they may have contacts or partners that they would refer. Specifically however you should always feel comfortable asking for a referral letter. OP does not state their country but in many places there is a stigma with "quitting" and a referral or letter stating that there were general lay offs go a long way to getting you considered for a new position.
    – crasic
    Nov 6, 2018 at 7:50
  • @crasic does depend on country in the UK they have a duty of care to actively consider alternate roles Nov 6, 2018 at 21:39

Also – if you are "made redundant" in your present job, what else might they be able to find for you to do, that you would enjoy doing (perhaps, even more?). It never hurts to ask. You might even manage to wrangle a promotion out of it!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .