I'm talking with a company that might want to hire me (not definite yet). I like them a lot and I think I'd like to work there. Here's the catch: if they decide to hire me, they will want a firm commitment from me, but they won't want me to start until next year at the earliest.
How do I navigate this situation given that I am currently employed? What's the right order to talk further with the new company, talk to my current employer, accept an offer, etc.?