Here's my situation: I have had several successful interviews and gotten 3 offers from different companies, and decided to accept an offer from one of them.
The thing is this, they had initially offered me a salary slightly lower than my "bid", with a probation of 3 months and a review to my desired salary after that. It was written in email. I am alright with this arrangement as it was still pretty reasonable.
But after accepting the offer and declining other offers, when I was handed the Employment Contract, and it states that the probationary period is 6 months. I highlighted this to my interviewer, but she said that after checking with her colleagues, she "found out" that 6 months is a standard period in their company, and would do a salary review according to my performance after that.
How should I go about doing this? Should I push back, and if so, how should I go about doing it? I wanted to ask for her to stick to the initial 3 months as to what was agreed.
Do you guys think it's reasonable?
I have requested for them to adjust the probationary period as to what was first communicated (i.e. 3 months) as that was part of my consideration in accepting their offer amongst others. They stood firm by 6 months, and now also changed my starting date to January (due to internal shuffling and again, she just found out about it), when I was supposed to start next week (Start of December). She said that it might be too long for me and would completely understand if I chose to withdraw my application.
For me, I'm not too excited about the work I'll be doing there but the pay is fairly reasonable. And there will always be this doubt if I would be able to find other jobs. Also one important thing to note is that I have applied for PR overseas and am waiting for it to be approved, so I will be staying here for another 1 year tops if it gets approved, so there is a pressure of time—I'm trying to get relevant experience and save up as much as I can before immigrating.
All these errors aside, I have actually worked with them as part of my freelance gig and thought they were nice people. So I'm a little confused as to how I should go about doing this.
Would it be acceptable for me to accept their offer for now, and start looking for other jobs? I'm not sure if that is considered a good thing to do. Or should I decline it right now?