I work as a developer in IT industry.
I am faced with a situation and would like some advice.
Why I had decided to move from previous employer
- My ex-manager is a very technically competent person in his domain (say PERL, ORACLE etc.)
- However I worked in an entirely different technology vertical under him (say Web Technologies)
- I believe he failed to understand the effort/technicality involved in my work.
- This in turn led to 1)No promotions 2)No pay hikes
- I had no option, but to leave after working there for 4 years.
Present: Fast forward 8 months
- I got a call from previous ex-manager - he wants me back
- It seems they are not able to get the things done with the resources at their disposal
- He had agreed for promotion and a matching pay hike
Why I am inclined to join back
- My ex-manager is the most technically competent person I have ever come across. I admire him and simply makes me happy to work for/with him.
- He is agreeing to my demands of promotion and pay hike.
- The current job - I have earned an excellent reputation here but the work here doesn't make me happy, just pays the bills.
- Its just 8 months into the new job - will it look bad on my resume to leave this soon?
- Will it be embarrassing to go back to the same team?