I am looking for position in several corporations but judging from the social networks, the adopted culture is quite different from my tastes:
- I love classical and contemporary classical music (innovative and electronic music is fine with me as well though I am listening it less). I have nothing against popular music, but I listen it only in gym.
- I love traditional painting mediums (oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastels) and all the physical art things more than digital art.
- I hate sports and I never spend my free time on them out of free will, though I am regularly exercising quite a lot in gym but for health reasons not the pleasure. I have no idea whatsoever what's happening in the great sport (I like to watch men figure skating only).
- I am lost with smalltalk though I like lengthy talks about politics, ideas, etc. in restaurants where everyone can have a say and where one's thoughts can develop and flow freely.
- I have learned ballet and sports dances, but I dislike dancing generally, especially without predefined scripts.
It is not that I am against all those things, I like trying digital arts, some sounds of popular music are very OK and it can be pleasure to talk with people but deep inside me there is something that does not allow me to be completely free and to completely enjoy all the events and cultural programs that can happen in and around the corporations.
I would like to adapt and to find this enjoyment and I would like to understand more why it is so, but for it I need to find some good reading, some guidebooks or something other. Maybe there is some advice how to make this adaptation? Currently I am trying to read corporate novels but it is quite hard to find good corporate novel that is more than cliches (e.g. Microserfs is good one).
Sometimes I hope that corporations have a lot of clever people with sophisticated tastes and that it could be possible to find some connections along cultural lines, but from the other hand - social media pictures something different.
Of course, I am aware that the content of the work and the productivity is the single most important point and that the knowledge sharing is the second point. That is fine. But from time to time those cultural things happen and spring out and I need to be prepared for them.