I've been working on a contract for over a year and lately the amount of work available has decreased. I have been paying into unemployment through my contracting company. If the contracting company or the company I'm working at ends my contract would this be similar to being laid off and would I be able to collect unemployment?

closed as off-topic by JohnHC, gnat, Dan Pichelman, Magisch, solarflare Feb 14 at 1:39

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking advice on company-specific regulations, agreements, or policies should be directed to your manager or HR department. Questions that address only a specific company or position are of limited use to future visitors. Questions seeking legal advice should be directed to legal professionals. For more information, click here." – JohnHC, gnat, Dan Pichelman, Magisch, solarflare
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Welcome to the workplace. In the future, you may not want to pick the best answer right away. Waiting a few days encourages more people to answer. – Retired Codger Feb 13 at 15:09
  • contact your state's unemployment office – Retired Codger Feb 13 at 15:09
  • What you are asking for is legal advice and not as much employment "conduct". Please refer to the law exchange group instead. – fireshark519 Feb 13 at 15:24
  • @fireshark519 anything that is easily answerable by someone with an HR level of knowledge is on topic, a simple question about unemployment eligibility falls within those parameters – Retired Codger Feb 13 at 16:02
  • this would surely depend on your country. the key element is that if you are a contractor you are self employed. that affects EVERYTHING about your taxes, benefits, etc. – Fattie Feb 13 at 16:06

Laws can vary from place to place, but in general you are entitled to unemployment benefits unless you leave employment voluntarily (subject to other regulations). If you had terminated a contract (or resigned from employment) that is voluntary. If your contract is ended by the other party, or your employment is terminated, that is not voluntary. If you contact whatever organization administers your unemployment benefits they will give you a definitive answer.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.