So a few months ago, I started the interview process at a software-based startup by applying for the role of an internship. Given that their other open positions were for senior roles, this was my best option. The product that they make and the domain they operate in are things that I'm immensely passionate about, and these guys are pretty much the market leaders when it comes to it.
The interview had about 4 rounds, including a week-long coding assignment, all of which I passed with flying colors, and I could clearly tell that they were very impressed with me. At the last moment, however, they send me an email saying they cannot take me for the internship as it's only for students enrolled in their country's (this was an overseas job) university.
Instead, they said that they would get back to me if they had any full time positions. When pushed further regarding how long they think it would be before they could say definitely, the reply was "within the year". This interaction (which happened two months ago) was the last one we had.
Now, I'm currently in a phase where I'm looking to change workplaces. However, I don't want to wait an year (at worst) counting on their vague promise of a full time offer. If I at least knew whether them offering the full time position was just a cover up strategy for not knowing the local laws behind hiring interns from other countries (and they don't really intend to offer me anything), or they really are serious and are waiting for a position to open up, it would make things a lot more clear for me.
Should I hold out for their offer or should I move on with my job search or is there a middle path where I could talk to them regarding this without sounding desperate or confrontational (since they could be telling the truth, in which case I don't want to come off as ungrateful)?