Kindly refer to this question for more details about me.
So, I joined this wonderful company, was happy with my work and everything seemed to be fine. I was able to pick up very well and was able to prove myself too. I am confident that I can complete any assignment that is allotted to me. My COO was very positive right from day one and I really like working for his company.
But, there were red flags right from day one, from other employees.
- I was asked to lead them; they have half the number of years of experience that I have(my break period excluded) and they developed animosity right from the moment I have entered the company, literally. I could sense the red flags right from day one. This was even before I started speaking to them.
- I have been helping them whenever possible and a few of them helped me wherever needed; but, I am being stalked while working, while eating, while have conversations with others. Sometimes my conversations are being hijacked, irrelevant comments are being passed and some of them even have the audacity to comment that I do not respond to their remarks.
- The manager is always travelling and wants me to lead this team. The team is not ready to be led by me and is making even my breathing difficult.
- There are is no CC TV provision in the company and the employees feel free to do anything and everything; they switch of the lights when I use the bathroom; switch off the AC where I sit.
- There were one or two instances where the team members tried to complain about me to the manager; But the manager ignored it.
- The manager has put me in charge of the new electronic equipment to be used in the office. This includes the use of projector, conference room equipment, a linux server among others. This has visibly upset others and they tried their best to mislead me to use these equipment in the wrong way. But, I was alert and thwarted their attempt to mislead me.
- There are lot of differences within the existing team. They make nasty remarks against each other and have cold war almost every day. But, when it comes to me, they are unitedly against me.
At the technical front, I have a fair good idea about how to work. I even understood how I can lead the team technically. I even got a good idea about my own career path for the next one year.
But, the entire team is constantly looking for an opportunity to put me down, both morally and mentally.
I feel like I am going to the war zone daily and always have to be on alert. I need to constantly look over my shoulders as to who is stalking me, ensure that there is not even a small mistake from my end as they are constantly looking for one.
I understand that this is abuse and bullying. I do not have enough proofs to show the manager about how the AC/lights are being switched off.
Picking the battles is important and I am not sure if I even have to pick this battle. I feel that my safety is being jeopardized too.
How does one know which battle to pick? For me, going to this office is a battle, literally. If I have to pick this battle, how should I handle all these Iagos?
P.S: All of these observations are not merely my assumptions. I have a fair good judgement about assuming things to be happening and about the reality. I do not want to give any benefit of doubt to my colleagues in this aspect.