- My fiancée is pregnant.
- She lives 1500 km away from me, in another country, in a low-developed region where public transport is slow.
- I did not talk with her for 3 days. It was my mistake. She became shocked and now she wants to abort the child.
- I am currently on a train, traveling to her.
- Tomorrow morning I am supposed to go to work, as usual. I won't be able to. (It is now Sunday evening where I work.)
- I am almost certain I will be unable to work on both Monday and Tuesday.
I work for a small company in Germany. I've worked here for some years, longer than most employees. There is no guarantee that I won't lose my job over an unexpected absence like this. The company seems more tolerant than average for such events, but their patience surely has a limit. I feel I am near this limit.
Being in the IT department, I could work also remotely, even on the train. This is not the custom of the company, and I would need a manager's approval.
How should I minimise my chances of losing my job and lose the least possible respect of my bosses?
Would it be better if I explain this situation? This personal problem probably looks quite different through the eyes of my boss.