-1

I'm waiting for an university(ies) to respond to my admission application. They will all come in by the beginning of June. I have a job offer from a company that I'd love to join if I don't get into a preferred university.

However, the job requires me to join this May. I'm fairly confident of my university applications. But as mentioned, I'd love to join this company if I don't get in. How do I handle this? I don't want to leave in just under 2 months after I join.

  • 1
    I don't want to leave in just under 2 months after I join..why? – Sourav Ghosh Apr 15 at 10:20
  • I was wondering if that would seem wrong on my part. Wouldn't that annoy the HR executives a bit if I did that? – WorldGov Apr 15 at 10:28
  • That's one of the reason companies have probation period with relaxed terms for termination / quitting. The company evaluates you, as well as you also get a chance to evaluate the company and the work environment, and if things don't work out, the separation is easier. – Sourav Ghosh Apr 15 at 10:31
  • I applied long back, and I got this offer a couple of days ago. I didn't have a plan per se; I thought if I don't get into a preferred university, it'll be better join this company. It's a good opportunity and it'll take at least a few months for me to get something like this again if I let this pass (and don't get into my university of choice). – WorldGov Apr 15 at 12:52
3

I don't think there is a silver bullet to this problem. You have to chose one over the other.

Check one thing: If you join the company now, is there anything in the contract that explicitly prohibits you from leaving after two months (like, a fixed service tenure bond)? If not, I'd suggest, you accept the job offer, continue the job while waiting for the university results to come out.

  • If the results are positive and the initial two-months of profession experience tells you to go for the university, resign from the job and join the university.
  • If the results are negative or the initial two-months of profession experience tells you to continue with the job, you got yourself covered.
  • I think it's important to note that if OP accepts, then leaves after two months (and they know OP accepted the job under those conditions), they risk burning a bridge. If they'd like to work there in the future again, doing this might make this more complicated, if not impossible. Not saying it will, but it is a real possibility that OP needs to be aware of and consider. – MlleMei Apr 15 at 10:49
  • @MlleMei That's right, but why the company needs to know the reason for leaving? It can very well be one of the canned responses, right? – Sourav Ghosh Apr 15 at 11:13
  • True, but if they do apply there later on, I guess OP is going to put his studies ? If OP doesn't intend to work there later on, then there's nothing to lose, I agree. – MlleMei Apr 15 at 11:33
  • Yes, that is the reason why I was hesitant to join and then quit if I get into a good university. But I guess I'm willing to burn that one bridge now. @MlleMei – WorldGov Apr 15 at 12:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.