Last 6 months, I joined a known tech company. The team is located in a new site. In the meanwhile there is one team - which I joined, that counts 4 employees including the manager. I've done exceptional work and the remote management was baffled with the advance I did in a short time. However, I and my manager didn't get along and I was bullied frequently Until one day, after a vacation of 2 weeks, he set a 1:1 meeting and handed me a pre-termination hearing invitation.
In the hearing session, the management accepted my proof that all the manager's accusations are not valid. They presented two options:
- Join the team with the bully manager and try to get along - I refused.
- Try to interview for other teams in another site -(which happens to be in the same city where I live) during the next 30 days. Since my direct manager gave me negative feedback on the performance review portal, his manager offered to present me and give verbal positive feedback to the interviewers instead of the written performance review.
I had my first introduction interview. The interviewer asked why I want to move to another team. Because of my answer, where I mentioned that I and my manager don't get along together and therefore his manager will provide feedback about me... he refused to continue the process.
Of course, he asked me to send him the performance reviews that I have. I sent him both performance reviews (first one is positive but the later is not) and highlighted that regarding the last negative performance review, he should talk to my manager's boss - which he didn't.
How should I answer the question: "why you want to move to another team?" in the described case where:
- I have two performance reviews, one of them is negative.
- I am interviewing during a disciplinary hearing process.
- My manager's boss will happily give feedback.