[Triggered by this answer concerning the value of technical certificates to someone looking for a first job in the IT sector.]
Do hiring managers in IT value technical certifications?
- Does it get you in the door? (Or get you rejected?)
- Does it help vs. other less qualified candidates? (Or hurt.)
- Does it help vs. other similarly qualified candidates? (Or hurt.)
Do the answers above depend on
- The subfield of "IT" (e.g., sysadmin, ops, devops, programming)?
- Previous/other experience of candidate?
N.B.: This answer is not looking for opinions - not just because we don't look for opinions here but mainly because I've got my own opinions on it but have never been able to validate them. (I've never been I hiring manager, and I've only ever been a programmer at companies mainly in the software development sector.) I'm looking for a hiring manager to say "yes, in my industry of manufacturing operations we always look for networking certifications" or "no, top companies in the banking sector never look at certifications and here's a Gartner report discussing that ...".