I am very stressed with this, thus I kindly ask for any help available.

I am working in Bavaria, Germany. I am seriously considering accepting an offer (should arrive by tomorrow) to work in London in another company. I told them that my notice period is 1 month. When we talked over phone to see what I expect from the offer, I informed them that the apartment I rent has 3 months of "notice period", and they said they'd like to have me onboard ASAP, and we agreed that I would speak to the landlord to see if I can leave earlier - which I did, not happening.

Now they will send me the offer, I will tell them that I have to wait 3 months, they might get a bit unsatisfied. Now, let's say I will accept it by end of October at the latest, which sets the start date at start of February.

The problem is that I have to do my tax declaration here in Germany, and for that I need the Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, which the company sent me early in February 2019 for the year 2018. That document sums up my income and taxes withhold (I have no other income or property, only my job).

So, ideally, if my starting date was March, I would do the tax declaration in early February, wait a couple of weeks to receive the letter in my apartment in Germany, pay whatever tax I would have to pay, and leave the country.

However, I feel a bit afraid of asking to delay my starting date from Feb to March, and that's why I would like you to ask if see a way of my tax declaration happening without asking for a delay (i.e. having my start date in February)?

  • Thought: Assuming I start in London on 1 Feb. Think how the Lohnsteuerbescheinigung 2019 will look like by summing up every month's payroll, do the tax declaration in January (if possible). But then will the German tax office proceed with processing my tax declaration, or will they be blocked by awaiting for my company to send them the Lohnsteuerbescheinigung? If so, that means that the letter will be sent by them in February, and by default, it should go to my apartment in Germany. Maybe I could kindly ask if they could sent back to my parents' home in Greece...
    – user111084
    Oct 21, 2019 at 15:15
  • 3
    " I informed them that the apartment I rent has 3 months of "notice period" Just because you have to give 3 months notice does not mean that you have to physically stay there for 3 months.
    – sf02
    Oct 21, 2019 at 15:19
  • @sf02 indeed, however I am required to pay all 3 rents, so it'd be nice to also stay here for these 3 months. :) However, I see your point, which stresses that asking for a March starting date will make them frustrated...
    – user111084
    Oct 21, 2019 at 15:21
  • 3
    just quit your rental with the 3 months notice, let the new company pay for the usused month, file your taxes in feb as everyone else and have the letter sent to the new living address. Make sure you report your move to the local 'Meldeamt' and let the relevant tax-bureau of your city know where to send the letters to..
    – iLuvLogix
    Oct 21, 2019 at 15:23
  • @iLuvLogix you seem to have relevant knowledge, may I ask you to check my thought in the 1st comment and tell me what you think please? Maybe it's utterly rubbish.. :/ As for your comment, the new company did not - in any way whatsoever - imply that they would be pay for the unused months. How would I fill in my tax declaration from UK to Germany? When I did for 2018, I went physically to the Finanzamt, filled in the tax declaration (Steuererklärung). Thanks for helping. :) I am an early-career person, so any tips and points of view from you (experienced) guys is very valuable to me indeed..!!
    – user111084
    Oct 21, 2019 at 15:27

2 Answers 2


Tax Declaration

You're making things more complicated than they actually are.

  • If you have Lohnsteuerklasse 1, which is the default for singles, then the Lohnsteuererklärung is optional. You are likely to get money back, but there is no obligation to file it.
  • You can do everything online via the Elster application. To avoid that you have to send a physical letter, you may request a certificate from https://www.elster.de. They will send you the details to your address in a few days.
  • It helps to get the Lohnsteuerbescheinigung from your previous employer, but you can also sum up the numbers from your monthly pay statements.


  • Most landlords agree to let you go earlier, if you can find a suitable next tenant. Check if your landlord agrees to that.
  • It's unlikely that you will use the full 3 notice period, because you need time to move out.


They want you to start with one month notice, but you're trying to postpone your start date for another 2 months, this will likely backfire, especially because you already mentioned your private issues.

If you really want the job, your next steps should be:

  1. Request the Elster certificate immediately.
  2. Discuss with your landlord if another tenant, which you will find, could take over the rent. If not, accept it as transition costs.
  3. Start your new job as soon as possible.
  4. Inform your previous employer about your new address.
  5. Mid of next year, file your Lohnsteuererklärung via Elster.
  • Thanks for the advice! I went to the Finanzamt today and asked how can I submit the tax declaration, and they told me that you have to either come here physically, or with a letter in Finanzamt's mailbox - they didn't mention Elster whatsoever.. Since Elster seems to be a government site, it makes me wonder why they didn't mention it... :/
    – user111084
    Oct 22, 2019 at 12:49
  • That's because Elster access has to be confirmed by a physical letter sent to your address. But I am sure there are ways around it. Look for a Buchhalter, tell them the situation and let them tell you how to proceed - the costs are minimal and they may be able to help get some more money you didn't know about - like a moving-to-Germany pauschal from when you first came there.
    – kioleanu
    Oct 22, 2019 at 15:25
  • I think you also get Lohnsteuerbescheinigung in addition to the one you already got as you leave the company, i.e. during your notice period. Even if you don't, you can contact the Finanzamt that is responsible for your financial jurisdiction and request a copy to be provided - Google how to do that. In any case, unless you are self employed or made any grave mistakes, then in all likelihood doing your taxes will result in getting money back, because your taxes are already part of your Lohn. Oct 22, 2019 at 21:36

The apartment problem can easily be solved, can't you just find a "Nachmieter"? If you can't find someone fast enough, offer to cover 20% of the rent for the first 2 months?

It will cost you some money but better than paying 2 extra months of rent.

  • I am not interested in finding another person, but thanks. :)
    – user111084
    Oct 22, 2019 at 12:42

You must log in to answer this question.