I was recently interviewing and I landed two job offers from Company A and Company B. I had accepted a job offer initially from Company A, but Company B came along and gave me an offer with a better salary, benefits package, PTO, and what I thought would be an entry back to an industry that I wanted to be in again. I decided to go with Company B and I politely turned down Company A's offer. I have not heard back from Company A since then, but that is to be expected.
I started Company B two weeks ago, and I have realized that it is not a good fit for me. I really wanted to try and give it a go, but inside my gut I know that Company B is not going to work out for me long term. I would rather leave Company B gracefully and not put them into too much of a lurch if I were to leave them months or a year from now.
I would like to start a conversation with Company A again since I did see that they are still advertising for the role I interviewed with them for. I know this will be a slice of humble pie to ask them to reconsider me and that I made a wrong choice.
I'm not sure how to approach this, and I was thinking something along the lines of:
I wanted touch base with you to see if the [position] is still open. If it is, I would love to be reconsidered for this role.
Since we last spoke, I have given this opportunity a lot of thought, and I would like another chance to join the team. I thought that a career in [Company B's industry] was going to be a better fit for me, but I have realized that I am better suited to a more dynamic technical role like the one that is at Company A. I know that I would make a great addition to the team after all of the interviews I have had and I would like to the opportunity to discuss the possibility of a second chance.
I know the possibility of me not being considered back after I turned Company A down is a very real possibility, but I would rather say that I tried and failed than wonder What if?
Is there a good way to approach a situation like this or should I even attempt it at all?