I have a bit of a conundrum. I'm currently employed, but I'm job-searching and I have two final interviews scheduled close to each other (driving distance), but very far from me (plane travel distance). I have already scheduled time off of my current job to take the first interview (I didn't tell my current employer it's for an interview, just that I need time off), but I just got notice of the second. Would it be acceptable to ask for an additional day off so that I don't have to make two plane flights? Additionally, I know the first company (who I've already scheduled with) moves very quickly, and, if I pass, I would expect to have the offer a couple days later; waiting even a week for the second company could skewer my chances with the first company (the second company moves much slower, although I can push them to move quickly).
A compounding factor to this is that I've been sick all week and been working from home. I've had periodic calls with my boss and he knows I'm sick (I have a cough now), so whether I'm sick or slacking is not in question (as far as I know). However, my boss wants me to report to the office as soon as I'm better, and I told him I would be returning to the office on Tuesday (today is Friday) after my interview on Monday (which he doesn't know about; he just knows I'm taking vacation time). If I was to tell my boss I need to take Tuesday off as well and report to the office on Wednesday, would that be a reasonable request given the circumstances?