I've had an unfortunate experience with a passive aggressive secretary who initially demanded payment when I presented her with a request for a digital record of my invoice/receipt history. I promptly gave in to save time; I agreed to pay the fee, at which stage she flat out refused to provide me with the information. I don't require a printout or postage or anything that will incur costs beyond a the time it takes to send an email and it seems to me a reasonable request. They have my payment details on file, so charges are processed automatically with no invoices or receipts sent out.

I don't want to give too much personally identifiable information such as location, etc. But surely there are laws against this kind of conduct. I'm not quite sure how to deal with the matter. She is effectively a barrier between myself and anyone else within the company, which makes it difficult to go above or around her. Any advice is welcome.

  • 4
    Wait? You paid a fee for a receipt but then still were not given a receipt?
    – Donald
    Dec 6, 2019 at 5:25
  • 7
    There are laws for this. Problem is, they just depend on the location... Dec 6, 2019 at 5:30
  • 1
    @MatthewGaiser I suspected this might be the case.I am in Western Australia, and this is the secretary of a medical professional. I've shown considerable restraint in my dealings with her, but I'm about to lose my patience.
    – voices
    Dec 6, 2019 at 5:40
  • 6
    This isn't a work place problem or question. You should contact your local government consumer affairs office.
    – joeqwerty
    Dec 6, 2019 at 5:44
  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this isn't a workplace question, but instead a complaint against a company as a member of public requesting an invoice history
    – Draken
    Dec 6, 2019 at 9:45

1 Answer 1


It is illegal in your jurisdiction of Western Australia

A consumer who wants to make a claim about faulty goods or services against a supplier or manufacturer will usually need to show they obtained the goods or services from the supplier or manufacturer. The same applies to gift recipients.

Businesses are understandably concerned to ensure claims made to them about goods and services are genuine.

The best 'proof of purchase' is a tax invoice or receipt. Businesses have an obligation to provide proof of purchase to consumers for goods or services valued at $75 or more (excluding GST). Where a transaction is valued at less than $75, consumers have the option of requiring a proof of purchase to be provided within seven days of the transaction.

One method of resolution (albeit extreme) would be to contact Consumer Protection of the Government of Western Australia.


I cannot find anything in Western Australian law about it, but I did find federal rules that require an invoice to be provided free of charge:


  • 1
    Thanks, but is it legal (or reasonable) to charge for a digital invoice or receipt?
    – voices
    Dec 6, 2019 at 5:54
  • 2
    @voices see edit Dec 6, 2019 at 6:01
  • The OP makes it sound like they are asking for an account history, not for an invoice or receipt at point of purchase.
    – user34687
    Dec 8, 2019 at 4:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .