I am a software engineer in one of the big tech hubs in Canada who was poised to move across the country to the other. A couple of months ago, I accepted a new job with a firm there to start in the middle of February. However, I badly injured my left shin and ankle back in November. I hoped it would be better, but my doctor told me that it needs more time and potentially surgery if things do not improve. Well, it has not improved and I am in the middle of booking various medical treatments and additional physiotherapy.
I live with my parents in this city, so I don't need to do anything in terms of mobility. They can get groceries and packages for me and we live in the suburbs, so deliveries come straight to the door. They can make the big meals for me as it is hard for me to stand for more than a few minutes. I am still capable of working for my current employer as my existing job requires nothing of me than that I code and being a progressive workplace, has all the accessibility requirements met like elevators and large desks. They also moved the standups to the closer boardroom. It also works because my father has a job nearby and can drop me at the door every morning in his car. This job also pays for all the drugs and physio, something I wouldn't get right away with the new company.
In the new city, I would not have this level of support. My current condition does not allow me to drive and the new city is very dense and getting to the job will require transit and I cannot walk very far even with the crutches. I can't even drag a suitcase behind me in my current state, so I am not exactly sure how I would move. If I shipped my goods via Fedex, I am not sure I could get them into my prospective condo if they left them at the front desk. I also have no medical network there.
I informed them of this potential problem early on (late December) and told them that I may have to delay my start date. Their response was that "plenty of people come to work on crutches and painkillers." I felt somewhat guilty for making excuses, so I got a perscription for painkillers and those allowed me to somewhat walk on the leg at the cost of a lot of extra swelling when I do that. I can live with it if needed.
My doctor has a very dim view of all this. His view is that I need to stay in the city until at least mid April unless I want to limp forever. Historically he has overestimated things because he has been my doctor since I was 3, but even if I changed it to end of March, that is still a big shift.
How do I handle this with the company? It is a bit awkward explaining how my current employer works because of my city but not a different employer in another city.