We are 5-6 coworkers (from different teams) that like to go out for lunch together.
The problem: For some reason, there are people joining us without being invited.
It just happens like this:
- It's 12:00 PM, me and my friends (with prior arrangement) put our jackets and shoes, prepare to go out for lunch.
- Suddenly some random coworker sees us and also starts preparing for lunch.
- Another coworker sees us and also joins without asking.
And then we find ourselves in a group of 10-15 people. None of them invited in the first place. The lunch becomes annoying, silent and boring. We have a hard time finding a table for so many people. It's also a hard time for logistic reasons - we have to wait for everyone to finish eating, there is always someone that will be pretentious, another will want to do some personal things at lunchtime, etc.
We don't know how to get rid of all these people. Reasons:
- Some of them think they are part of the group now (coming so many times with us)
- Some don't realize there is a group, they just see people going out and join them
- Some are people close to managers we work with and we don't want to have any trouble
- It is a variety of people, we don't know how to state to everyone we don't want them
What we tried: Ignoring them (talking just between each other), but still acting friendly (after all we work together), they don't get the hint. We also tried going out unnoticed - it doesn't work, they still find us and join us. We tried to separate the group - they still join one of the parts.
Software Company | Location: Bulgaria | Employees: 80 people | Office: Open space
Lunch hours: We can take a 1-hour lunch break between 12:00 and 14:00.
- Eating in the office conference room. It's shared space, we have no word who comes and goes here.
- Nearest Mall - its the only place within walking distance, but the dining floor is still kind of open space. There is only 1 restaurant we can reserve a table, but it's really fancy and expensive.
- Go somewhere further with a car - we rarely do this, because it takes too much time. We need at least 1 hour and a half to be able to eat properly.