I had my second (and last) interview at a company two days ago. The recruiter had told me in advance that I would get the answer the day after and in case they decided I was a good fit, they would ask for contact info of my references.
The recruiter called me and said that they needed a few more days to decide and they would contact me at the end of the week (Friday afternoon, to be exact).
I have a hunch that they already know that they want to reject me and that they are waiting a few days to give me the message in order to give the impression that they thought long and hard about it and to avoid showing disrespect for a fairly long and intensive interview process. This is in particular because next week is a national holiday, so even if they ask for my references, it will be delayed and it would be in their interest to ask for my references asap in case the answer is positive...
Therefore, is it OK for me to contact the recruiter and let them know that they don't have to wait a few days to give me the negative answer in case they have already decided?