I joined this company on 10th feb. The company remits salary to only three banks and I didn't have my a/c with any of those so I had to open a new a/c. However I forgot to share my new bank a/c details with the company until today when I got a mail from payroll asking for my bank a/c details. Now due to the delay they are saying they will credit the salary at the end of next month only.

I had to move to a new city for this job and I will have fixed expenses like rent to meet which I told to HR and payroll but they said they can't help. Is there any way to solve this issue other than borrowing from friends or family?

I asked the person from payroll to write a cheque instead but he said "They don't do cheque business here".

This is a multinational organization with around 500 employees.

  • 1
    you should add the country to your questions, because there might be legal stuff involved in the answer.
    – d_hippo
    Feb 28, 2020 at 14:41
  • 1
    Yes you should put it in writing, it always helps to have a paper trail in case you need to make a legal argument later.
    – sf02
    Feb 28, 2020 at 15:02
  • 1
    Did you try to involve your manager? Payroll might be more accommodating if your manager backs you up. Feb 28, 2020 at 15:09
  • 4
    Ask for an advance on your pay. Most companies do this from time to time for various reasons and it is handled differently from an out of sync pay check.
    – Brian
    Feb 28, 2020 at 15:19
  • 1
    @Brian he mentions already talking to HR/payroll about the issue and they didn't help. I don't have an answer, but I know i would have trouble working if I wasn't getting paid. Especially if bills were coming up.
    – sntrenter
    Feb 28, 2020 at 15:34

4 Answers 4


Is there any way to solve this issue other than borrowing from friends or family?

I asked the person from payroll to write a check instead but he said "They don't do check business here".

You could try bypassing Payroll and making your plea to your boss or to someone higher up.

Payroll might not be able to cut a check, but perhaps Accounts Payable could.

It probably won't help. Most likely you'll have to wait. But it probably won't hurt to try.

  • But is it not that the HR already mentioned there's no other way? Feb 28, 2020 at 16:04
  • @JoeStrazzere There you go. Feb 28, 2020 at 16:12
  • +1 Tell your manager you are in a serious bind because you need your pay to relocate.Ask them to arrange a salary advance for you, after you explain the payroll shenanigans.
    – O. Jones
    Feb 29, 2020 at 13:58

You need to escalate this issue.

First to your boss, and then to the boss of the HR person/payroll person.

Aside from that, you should also contact your labour commissioner and see what they say. https://clc.gov.in/clc/

In your country, the labour commissioner is in charge of recovering late wages/unpaid wages.

  • Yea great way for a 3 week old employee to make an impression, especially when it was due to his own f up.
    – Jack
    Feb 29, 2020 at 12:32
  • @Jack, I completely disagree. This is actually a super common issue with new employees and this is why payrolls will often cut employees a check for the first month of work. And if they're not competent enough to cut a check, I'm sorry, but they don't deserve to be in business at all. It's really not that hard to cut a check. Mar 1, 2020 at 16:06
  • Reporting your employer to the Labour Commission?
    – Jack
    Mar 1, 2020 at 23:38
  • @Jack, Not necessarily. Like I said already, I think he should just talk to them "and see what they say." Mar 2, 2020 at 10:14

Now due to delay they are saying they will credit the salary at the end of next month only.

Seems to be a standard process in India.

I had to move to new city for this job and I will have fixed expense like rent to meet which I told to HR and payroll but they said they can't help.

Not supposed to be their problem and they are not obliged to entertain any request in this regard. You can request, you cannot expect / demand. Unless you have a very strong reason to believe that HR is not knowledgeable or is lying - that's probably the end of road of this discussion.

Is there any way to solve this issue other than borrowing from friends or family?

As per the current situation, official response is no. Unless the HR forgot to mention / did not mention a process for advance payment of salary - there does not seem to be another way - check your company handbook again.

  • @Stupid_Intern I'm sorry, what this has to do anything with a country? Feb 28, 2020 at 16:27
  • 3
    Everything. It tells about the company the people and their processes. Feb 28, 2020 at 16:27
  • 1
    @AriKari India's funds transfer is the best in the world. businessnewsthisweek.com/business/… So, stop with the bigotry. Most companies don't even have a cheque book, because paying employee salaries is completely automated. It is entirely the OP's fault if he thought the company would transfer his salary to a bank account that he "forgot" to tell them about. Feb 29, 2020 at 11:23
  • 3
    @Stupid_Intern Well, it does. There is a balance here: One employee having to do 15 minutes extra work, or one employee without money for a month. What's more important? You clearly saw what's more important where you work. Working in the UK, I think if at any company that I worked for HR or payroll refused to give you your money in this situation, my boss would have ripped them to pieces, plus it would be illegal.
    – gnasher729
    Feb 29, 2020 at 11:43
  • 1
    @gnasher729 ... and that's what most companies in India do as well. I never said anything about the OP taking a loan from the company, so I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that I find it "normal". OP needs to ask for the loan. If he is working, he is most likely an adult, and the company shouldn't have to tell him how to fix his mistakes and handle his money matters. The company clearly told him on the 10th he needs to open a bank account with one of 3 banks, and tell them his account number by a certain date. The company isn't "despicable" if the OP "forgets" to do that. Feb 29, 2020 at 15:33

If your work isn’t willing to budge, consider getting a short-term loan from a lender.

I’m not certain about India, but in many Western countries there are predatory loan companies that give short-term loans (on the order of a few weeks) in exchange for fees that amount to a ruinous interest rate. They’re often thought of as being exploitative towards the poor, but in your case, they might be helpful as long as you only use their services to cover your bills once and you don’t become reliant on their services.

Obviously, this should be your last resort, if you can’t get your work to pay you and you can’t get the money any other way. It’s not a very good option, but it’s probably better than missing rent payments and becoming homeless.

  • 5
    Lord no, OP should do literally anything else instead.
    – Aida Paul
    Feb 28, 2020 at 23:18
  • @TymoteuszPaul It’d be better than becoming homeless due to missing rent payments. Obviously a last resort, though.
    – nick012000
    Feb 28, 2020 at 23:20
  • You won't become homeless for one late rent payment, that's plain rubbish. Borrow from friends, pawn stuff, sell stuff, work nights at fast food joint. Anything but fall into hands of predatory lenders.
    – Aida Paul
    Feb 28, 2020 at 23:21
  • @TymoteuszPaul OP lives in India, where a significant chunk of the population are impoverished farmers. It’s entirely possible he doesn’t have any stuff to sell, or friends to borrow money from.
    – nick012000
    Feb 28, 2020 at 23:23
  • @TymoteuszPaul Also, a quick Google search for rental laws in India says that you can be evicted if a rental payment is 15 days overdue- so you can be evicted for missing one rent payment there.
    – nick012000
    Feb 28, 2020 at 23:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .