I'm currently acting as a Project Manager and Tech Lead within a really small team, as we are just starting out. I manage about 6 people so far, and the integration and communication between the team members is going great. Except for a specific team member.
This individual has some habits that sometimes can really annoy the rest of the team, including me. One of my responsibilities is to lead the team into a new workflow and technical stack, and I really like that, but I can't spend all of my time with that, since I also have to plan a lot of stuff.
With all the other team members, I can teach them where to gather information from, or teach them the fundamentals of something, and they are able to find the missing links on Google/Stack Overflow with some ease if not I'm available to help.
However, this other team member (who is supposed to be a mid-level developer) seems to never be able to do some basic research. The first time he stumbles upon an issue, he complains that he has never done that before, or that it's not something technically possible (even when sometimes it's only a matter of following the docs).
He isn't able to study what I ask him to, and when I ask him to study A, he comes back talking about how great B and C are. This individual grossly overestimates his own knowledge and learning abilities. He spends about 60% of the time at his desk, and the other 40% is devoted to smoke breaks, going from desk to desk, or going on random walks within the company.
Every time I ask him to perform a more challenging task he talks about giving up and being frustrated, interrupts other team members without even doing some more in depth research on the topic. Other team members or I then come to his aid and solve the issue, sometimes in a matter of minutes. Mind you, the other team members are also new to this workflow, toolset, and technical stack (and have less overall experience as software developers).
If the only problem was that this individual has a really hard time doing what I ask of him, I still probably wouldn't be writing this. However I've noticed that the other team members are getting tired of this. He speaks really loudly in our really small office and is often leading random conversations on topics such as gaming and music when we are trying get work done. So we just shake our heads and try to ignore him most of the time.
I've taken this issue to the CEO of our small company. He asked me to try for a little longer to get him on board and he had a talk with him about being less intrusive with the team (which seemed to work for about a day). It's a small and really new (a couple of weeks) team within a small company, so I'm wearing a lot of hats, from Project Manager to Software Architect, Scrum Master, and Technical Lead, so I feel/know that it's my responsibility to talk with him and deal with this.
However, I don't know how to approach him on this matter, since half of the problems stem from his soft/interpersonal skills and this person has a really hard time accepting even minor feedback as it's someone with 10+ years of experience with software development.
I'm aware that, if I am to keep on the path to management related areas, I'll have to deal with issues like this on a frequent basis. I could go to the CEO and tell him that I can't have this person on my team, but I don't want to be unfair and give up on him without giving him a chance to do better. What is the best way to tackle this issue for someone on my position?